2019 Big O Speedway UMP Hornet Rules
TO ALL COMPETITORS & PARTICPANTS
A) Only three (3) or four (4) cylinder in-line engines will be permitted. No rotary type engines, no turbo and no supercharged engines will be permitted.
- B) All engine components must remain unaltered and factory OEM for the year, make and model of the car being used in competition as verified by VIN. Cold air intake setup is permitted.
- C) All valve-train components must remain unaltered and OEM to original Year, Make and Model of vehicle including but not limited to; crankshaft, connecting rods, valves, valve sizes and the bore and stroke.
- D) Aftermarket and/or racing-type cylinder heads will not be permitted. No milling or shaving of cylinder head to gain compression. Any Engine work beyond factory specs is NOT PERMITTED.
- E) High performance and/or sports car engines of any type will not be permitted.
- F) Track officials have right to run and verify all components to match VIN.
- G) Any variable timing engines such as VTech, VVT, VCT, VST etc are not permitted.
- Transmission & Driveline
(A) Factory front wheel drive cars only permitted. No rear wheel drive or all-wheel drive vehicles permitted
- A) The transmission and/or transaxle must remain OEM and unaltered for the year, make and model of the car in competition.
- B) All forward and reverse gears must be operational.
- C) The flywheel, flex-plate, clutch and/or torque converter and/or assembly must remain unaltered and OEM of the year, make and model of the car in competition. Performance drivetrain components are not permitted.
- D) Mini-type clutches and/or couplers will not be permitted.
- E) Aftermarket transmission coolers are permitted for use but may not be in the drivers compartment.
- F) Torque dividing final drive systems will not be permitted.
- G) Locked differentials will NOT be permitted.
- H) A minimum one (1) inch inspection hole must be located in the bell housing is MANDATORY.
- Electronic and Ignition System
A) All ignition components must be unaltered, OEM and match the year, make and model of the car in competition. Only 12 volt ignition systems will be permitted. Push button starts are permitted.
- B) Ignition boxes and/or performance chips and/or any timing or ignition enhancing devices will not be permitted.
- C) Traction control systems or devices of any type will not be permitted.
- D) Only one twelve (12) volt battery, securely mounted with both terminals covered will be permitted. If battery is relocated to inside passenger compartment, the battery must be mounted inside a closed Marine-type case and properly secured to car. Batteries in trunk do not need to be in a Marine-type box if trunk is closed off to passenger compartment
- E) Only stock OEM starters in the OEM location will be permitted.
- F) Aftermarket gauges are permitted, digital or analog.
- G) The vehicle computer (ECU) must be mounted in an easily accessible location providing ease of inspection. There will be an ECU “swap”, your ECU will be swapped for one provided by the track any time the track decides. Factory OBDII ports must be accessible and operational for track inspection at any time on or off track
- H) In-car cameras, recording devices and/or data transmitting devices of any type will not be permitted. In car cameras such as GoPros are permitted. Raceivers are REQUIRED by all drivers, passengers do not require Raceivers
- I) Data loggers and tuning devices will not be permitted
- J) Any vehicle unable to start or move on its own after if arrives at staging or on track will be relegated to the back of the field
- K) A Westhold Transponder is required on all cars for every event. Transponder shall be mounted no further forward than radiator of car and protected from debris or damage. Any transponder mounted forward of radiator will result in disqualification from the nights events. Transponders shall be mounted so that the light is visible on the ground or for inspection. Transponders are available for rent at front gate and any damage is responsibility of renter.
- Exhaust System
- A) The exhaust manifold must be OEM to Year Make and Model of car and engine.
- B) Exhaust may not openly run through passenger compartment and must have a turn down/dump further back than drivers & mounted seat
- C) Removal of the catalytic converter and resonator will be permitted.
- D) Maximum of 2” OD exhaust pipe permitted
- Engine Compartment
A) The engine and radiator must be OEM and mounted in the stock OEM location for the year, make and model of the car in competition.
- B) Solid engine mounts will be permitted.
- C) Accumulators and/or accu-sumps will not be permitted.
- D) Reinforcing of engine compartment will not be permitted with the exception of a front strut bar.
- E) One horizontal bar 1.75 inch OD welded to connect the frame horns in front of the radiator will be permitted
- F) One additional maximum 1”OD bar may be added in front of radiator for added protection
- G) Removal of air conditioning compressor, power steering and smog pump is permitted
A) All chassis and frames must remain unaltered and OEM. .
- B) A maximum wheelbase of 107 inches will be permitted
- C) The magnetic steel floor pan must remain unaltered and OEM. Any work that is done in the form of patches must be completed with magnetic steel.
D) Additional weight ballast of any type will not be permitted. Any item(s) that are deemed to provide additional weight must be removed.
- G) No bars or piping may exceed the outer edges of any car unless noted.
- Fuel Cells and Fuel
A) The fuel system must be complete, unaltered and OEM for the year, make and model of the car in competition. See subsection D for fuel cell rules
- B) Only standard pump gasoline will be permitted for competition with a maximum of 93 octane. Performance additives will not be permitted. Fuel sample must be given on request from track official. E85 fuel is not permitted
- C) The gas tank/fuel cell mounted ahead of the rear hub assembly must be protected with a minimum 1/8 inch shield mounted under it.
- D) If the gas tank/fuel cell is mounted behind the rear axle, the gas tank/fuel cell must be replaced with a maximum eight (8) gallon fuel cell relocated to the trunk area of the car. The cell must be mounted with two (2) solid magnetic steel straps around the entire cell two (2) inches wide and .125 inch thick. A magnetic steel or fuel cell cover must between the driver and the fuel cell.
- E) A fuel cell vent, including cap vent, must have a check valve. If the fuel cell does not have an aircraft-type positive seal filler neck, then a flapper, spring and/or ball type filler roll-over valve is mandatory.
- F) External electric fuel pump wired to the ignition switch with aftermarket fuel cell will be permitted.
- G) Cool cans will not be permitted.
- H) Fuel lines that pass through the driver compartment must be magnetic steel.
A) Any front wheel drive, compact car will be permitted for competition. Station wagons, and/or convertibles and/or two seat sports cars such as Honda CRX will not be permitted.
- B) The body must remain unaltered and OEM in appearance with factory sheet metal. Side skirts are permitted. All Cars are required to start the event with all body pieces intact. Aftermarket nose cones will be permitted with alterations to allow access to tow chains is permitted
- C) The steel inner fenders must remain but you may remove the inner fenders plastic liners.
- D) The hood and trunk lid / hatchback must be positively and securely fastened either by factory devices, weld, bolt or pins. If pinned, the hood and deck lid may be gutted
- E) All doors must be positively and securely fastened. Gutting of doors permitted for roll cage fitment
- F) All glass, exterior lights, chrome and/or plastic trim and hood insulation must be removed.
- G) The dashboard may be removed.
- H) Front and rear bumper bars must be positively and securely fastened. Welded, chained and/or cabled to the frame will be permitted.
- I) Tow chains or hooks on the front and rear of each vehicle shall easily accessible will be required. Any damage to car during towing purposes is the sole responsibility of the driver and/or car owner.
- J) A maximum seven (7) inch sun visor from center of window will be permitted on front and rear windows of car
- K) The opera windows may be closed and/or sealed.
- L) Numbers must be minimum 4’ thick and 20” tall and clearly visible on both sides of car, top of car facing passengers side, six inches tall on rear of car
- Suspension & Steering
A) All components and mounts must remain unaltered and OEM and must match the year, make and model of car in competition. This will be checked by VIN. Factory bump stops and dust covers must be removed.
- B) Weight jacks, modifications, racing components, aftermarket or homemade traction devices will not be permitted.
- C) The car must remain in alignment from front-to-rear and must track straight (No Dog tracking)
- D) Quick release, aftermarket steering wheel will be permitted. The steering column must remain OEM and unaltered.
- G) Aftermarket remote reservoir power steering will not be permitted.
- H) All shocks and struts must remain unaltered and OEM in the OEM location. Cut or shortened springs will not be permitted.
- I) Maximum of one 360 degree by 2” tall spring rubbers will be permitted per wheel.
- J) One strut bar brace permitted between strut towers on front and rear
- K) Maximum of 2 degrees camber adjustment allotted per wheel
A) All brake components must be unaltered, OEM, magnetic steel and operative on all four wheels.
- B) Disc and/or drum brakes will be permitted and they must match the year, make and model of the vehicle in competition.
- C) Only OEM Master Cylinders in OEM location will be permitted.
- D) Brake shut off and/or valve bias adjuster(s) will not be permitted.
- E) Only magnetic steel brake lines will be permitted.
- Wheels and Tires
A) Only OEM DOT 13, 14, 15 or 16-inch passenger DoT approved tires will be permitted. Racing, mud and/or snow tires will NOT be permitted. Donut or factory spare tires are not permitted. All tires must be a minimum of 60 series, no low profile tires permitted
- B) Alterations of any type including re-caps, softening, chemical alteration, conditioning, siping and/or grooving will not be permitted.
- C) All wheels must be OEM steel or aluminum wheels with a maximum width of seven (7) inches and a standard bead. A racing wheel is permitted on the right front of the car but must use a DoT tire still in accordance to Subsection A listed above
- D) Both front tires and wheels must be the same series, size and offset, both rear tires must be the same series, size and offset. The front and rear tires do NOT need to be the same size.
- E) All tires must remain inside the body of the vehicle.
- F) Wheel spacers and/or bleeder valves will not be permitted.
It is the sole responsibility of each competitor for the effectiveness and proper installation, per the manufacturer’s specifications to be adequate for competition at every event. Each competitor is expected to investigate and educate themselves for continuing improvement regarding their own personal safety equipment. Track officials hold the right to remove any driver or car from competition for any safety concerns with the drivers or cars safety devices
- A) Vehicle Safety
1) Seat Belt/Restraint System
A) Each car shall be equipped with an SFI 16.5 or SFI 16.1 approved seat belt restraint system until the date of the belt expiration (two years) for both the driver as well as any passenger. Seat belts restraint systems shall be installed in accordance with the directions and application of the system supplier or manufacturer.
- B) Seat belt webbing that comes into contact with any sharp or un-radiused metal edge should be protected from that edge by means of push on grip vinyl trim. Seat manufacturers supply the seat with trim protecting the webbing from abrasion or cutting under impact conditions and should be used to their specifications.
- C) It is the responsibility of the driver, not the Officials or the Promoter, to ensure that his/her and their passenger seat belt restraint system and all components are SFI approved, correctly installed, maintained and properly used.
A) An aluminum seat built specifically for the purpose of competition in auto-racing events will be required.
- B) High-back aluminum (stock car style) seats should be securely mounted to the cage as recommended/required by the seat manufacturer and chassis manufacturer.
- C) Head rest (behind the seat) should include padding. All areas surrounding the head should have padding.
3) Window nets
- A) Window nets are required for competition
- B) A right head net or support is required on the driver side and on the passenger side when passengers are present.
- C) Window nets must latch on the top front and shall not be obstructed or interfere with driver or passengers exit from the car
- D) Maximum of 1 4” visor attached to the window net(s) permitted
4) Other safety items
- A) No sharp or protruding edges in or around the cockpit, which would impede the driver’s rapid exit from the car.
- B) Flame retardant seat, roll bar, knee and steering pads or padding are recommended.
- C) Approved roll bar padding (Swimming noodles are not approved) are required on any roll bar that a driver or passenger may make contact with while in the car
- D) Safety hubs recommended on right rear of car when applicable
- E) Open pipe style pumpers are not permitted on front or back of car. No bars extended beyond bumper covers permitted.
- F) One 1” wide by 2” tall lexan style rub rail is permitted on each side of the car and must be attached flush to the car
- G) Master battery kill switch/fuel pump switch on left side of dash within easy reach of driver and shall be clearly marked for “ON” & “OFF”
- B) Personal Safety Equipment
All passengers are required to follow all the same safety protocol as listed for “driver”
1) Each driver and passenger shall wear an undamaged fire resistant uniform meeting the SFI 3.2A/5 specification and display a valid SFI 3.2A/5 label. Multilayered suits recommended
2) Each driver should also wear fire resistant accessories that effectively cover the remaining parts of the body. Proper racing related shoes, neck braces and gloves are REQUIRED for drivers and passengers and should meet the SFI 3.3 specification and display a valid SFI 3.3 label.
A) Driver should wear a full face helmet, with at least a valid SA 2010 Standard Snell and/or a valid SFI 31.1, SFI 31.2 or SFI 31.1 2000 label.
- B) The driver should wear the helmet in accordance with the directions provided by the helmet manufacturer and/or supplier.
- C) If a head and neck restraint system is connected, it should conform to the manufacturers mounting instructions.
- D) Head and Neck restraint systems are strongly recommended.
- E) Tear offs strongly recommended
- A) Unless otherwise noted, all tubing utilized in the construction of the roll cage must be 1.50 inch outside diameter, .095 inch thick magnetic steel tubing.
- B) All cages must be 4-point, full perimeter, using 1.50 inch outside diameter, .095 inch thick magnetic steel tubing is required. A 6 point cage with rear kickers is strongly recommended
- C) The rear hoop must have bracing that crosses in an “X” configuration.
- D) A minimum 1.25 inch outside diameter cross bar is required across the top of the halo bar.
- E) The roll cage must be securely fastened (welding is required) utilizing a minimum of .250 inch plating to mount cage to the frame. Only magnetic steel will be permitted. Iron, galvanized pipe, fittings, square tubing, brazing and/or soldering will not be permitted.
- F) A minimum of three (3) door bars on the driver side and two (2) door bars on the passenger side (3 if passenger seat is mounted), mounted in a horizontal manner will be required. Vertical bracing from the top-to-the-bottom of the door bars on both sides is required. Minimum 18 gauge or 0.049 inch thick steel door plate must be securely welded to outside of door bars on drivers side
- G) A minimum of three (3) windshield bars and protective screen will be required in front of the driver.
- H) The driver compartment must be sealed completely from the track, the engine and the fuel cell. The front and rear firewalls must remain and any holes must be patched
- I) Mirrors will not be permitted.
- J) Gutting of the car will not be permitted with the exception of clearance for the roll and door bars or as noted
- K) All material considered flammable including but not limited to the radio, airbags must be removed.
- L) The interior must remain open. Decking will not be permitted.
(M) A Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) must remain clearly with visible and unaltered in a minimum of two (2) of the OEM locations.
- Protests may be made by any driver competing in that nights event. Competing refers to on the track not just at the track
- There is a $150 cash protest fee. $100 goes to the winner of the protest and $50 to the track
- Protests must be in writing and presented to the track with specific detail of protested part
- Protests may only be for one specific item and any other parts are not permissible for verification. For example, if protesting measurements on a cylinder head, the pushrods are exempt from inspection.
- Any protest will be advised before the feature race green flag is thrown and all cars must report to the infield waiting for details. Any car being protested is hands off by all persons INCLUDING the driver until time that protest is executed. Driver shall not leave car until permitted as such by track officials
- The track is not responsible for tools needed to complete any protest
- Track officials may protest any car at any event
- Driver, Crew or Owner of protested car are only persons permitted to do any tear down and are solely responsible for damaged parts & items. Any replacement parts are the responsibility of the car owner or driver.
- If items are deemed illegal during protest, all winnings and points from that night are forfeited
- Refusal of protest is automatic forfeiture and car owner, car and driver are all suspended for 2 weeks competition with a loss in 10 driver points and a $250 fine which is required in full before driver and owner may compete in any class at the track
IF THESE RULES DON’T SAY YOU CAN, THEN YOU SHALL NOT! OFFICIALS ARE TO BE TREATED WITH THE UTMOST RESPECT DURING THE TECH PROCESS AND ANY OTHER TIME AS THEY ARE TRYING TO KEEP THIS CLASS FUN, FAIR AND SAFE! ONLY THE REGISTERED DRIVER OF ANY PARTICULAR CAR MAY ADDRESS CONCERNS WITH TRACK OFFICIALS, NOT CAR OWNERS, FRIENDS, FAMILY OR SPONSORS. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE RULES MAY RESULT IN LOSS OF POINTS, PRIZE MONEY AND POSSIBLY SUSPENSION. ROUGH DRIVING AND RETALIATION WILL NOT BE TOLERATED! BE RESPECTFUL OF FELLOW DRIVERS, FANS AND OFFICIALS AT ALL TIMES.
THE TRACK RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CHANGE ANY RULES IT SEES FIT IN THE BEST INTEREST OF COMPETITION